Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Mexican Chocolate Marshmallows


My first attempt at homemade marshmallows. I ran out of corn syrup so I used evaporated milk instead, increased the sugar and decreased the water. The milk boiled over before it reached 240 degrees (soft ball stage). I was afraid it might not turn out since it was liquidy not syrupy. But after whipping a lot, it thickened. However, it was so cool by then that it didn't melt the chocolate that I had intended to melt and swirl. It looked more like cookies and cream. I ran out of cayenne pepper and used chile de arbol instead to give it a little spicy kick. They turned out soft and puffy. Much better than marshmallows from the store.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like store-bought marshmallows, but I think I'd like these! Nice food photography, by the way!

    ReplyDelete