Friday, April 19, 2013

Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

I've been making a lot of lemon desserts and there's a lot of hype about Meyer lemons these days. They are quite hard to find. So when I stumbled across them in a grocery store I decided to try them out. Meyer lemons are sweeter than regular lemons and also less acidic. I also found out that they are harder to zest because their skins are not as firm. They also started to go bad 2 days after I brought them home from the store. I managed to salvage what I could and also used some regular lemon zest and juice for these muffins. I'll be sticking to traditional lemons from now on.

Meyer Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

Adapted from Baking From My Home To Yours by Dorie Greenspan

Makes 16 muffins

2/3 cup sugar

zest from 2 Meyer lemons (I used one Meyer lemon and one regular)

juice from 2 Meyer lemons

2 cups all purpose flour

2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt

2 large eggs

1 tsp. vanilla extract

8 Tbsp. (113 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled

2 Tbsp. poppy seeds

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Line 16 muffin tins with paper liners.

2. Process lemon zest and sugar together. Place in a large mixing bowl and  whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.

3. In a medium mixing bowl whisk Greek yogurt, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and melted butter together. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Stir in the poppy seeds.

4. Scoop batter into paper liners filling about 2/3 full. Bake 18-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pans and cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment