Sunday, August 25, 2013

Mexican Chocolate Fudge



I was excited to find Mexican chocolate at the grocery store. I hadn't a clue what to use it for other than hot chocolate or brownies and I just made brownies last week. While perusing  the public market  at Granville Island I came upon a candy shop because the boys saw some lollipops they wanted. The shop had many different flavors of fudge. I went home and decided that I would try to make fudge.

A lot of fudge recipes use chocolate chips, condensed or evaporated milk and mini marshmallows or if you go old school, they use corn syrup, cream, sugar and chocolate. I decided to do a hybrid and used Callebaut dark chocolate, marshmallows (regular size cut up into small pieces), and evaporated milk. This made the recipe very hard to measure. After estimating, cooking the sugar, butter and evaporated milk and taking it off the heat and then adding in the chocolate and marshmallows, the mixture turned out dry and crumbly. I added more evaporated milk, put it back on the heat and melted everything. I cooked it until it reached the soft ball stage, crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.

The next morning the fudge was not soft and creamy but rather crumbly but melt in your mouth consistency. The flavor was great and had an added spicy kick at the end due to the cayenne and cinnamon. The top has a crunch from the Mexican chocolate which is cut up and sprinkled on top of the fudge while it is still hot. Due to cooking it so long, it had turned into Mexican chocolate tablet. It disappeared rather quickly at work but I shall try again to make fudge- the soft and creamy way.

No comments:

Post a Comment