Saturday, October 25, 2014

Apple Custard Tart with Caramel Sauce




I intended to make an apple custard tart for Thanksgiving dessert. But oops, forgot to thaw the puff pastry in the fridge the night before.  Yes, this tart is made with frozen puff pastry. After making my own once, I realized just how time consuming it is so this time I went with store bought. However, I did make my own vanilla bean pastry cream which is just beneath the cooked Granny Smith apples. And I made my own caramel sauce which consists of light brown sugar, butter and heavy cream. It was a challenge to drizzle it on the dessert before it set. This tart was flaky, creamy, tart, sweet, buttery and warm right out of the oven. The boys loved it for dessert and also for breakfast the next morning. It was still surprisingly flaky and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment