Thursday, September 10, 2015

Amaretto Bonbons






Sage Brushing Tempered Chocolate Into Molds

The search for Bonbons here in Canada goes on. I've been to five different grocery stores and still no sign of them, not even Dibs. I decided to finally make my own. First I made amaretto ice cream using the last of our Disaronno.

 I watched an Emeril video where he just scooped the ice cream into balls and put toothpicks in them. Then dipped them in chocolate. Easy right? Upon removing the balls from the freezer, they stuck to the parchment, fell off of the toothpicks and melted. 

I decided to use my chocolate molds instead. I tempered semisweet chocolate in the microwave (first time in the microwave) and we brushed it into the molds using a pastry brush. There was not enough ice cream and too much chocolate to have a thin, crispy shell on the bottom. The ice cream started to push out in little bits through the chocolate and some cracked during unmolding. In fact the plastic mold cracked as well.

They tasted o.k. though we all agreed we liked the amaretto ice cream by itself better because the chocolate overpowered it. 

I still want Bonbons.

No comments:

Post a Comment