Thursday, September 10, 2015

Bacon Caramels



Cook bacon? Me? I never thought I would being a vegetarian of 23 years. I did it for a friend who has bought my sea salt caramels on several occasions. He requested bacon caramels not knowing I was not a meat eater. I was going to have August cook the bacon but when I found out our friend was babysitting that week, I decided to give it to him as a thank you gift. 

August laughed when I had to look on the internet to figure out how to cook the bacon. The first batch I cooked on the stove. I was instructed to put it in a cold pan and cook it on low. Some sites said to flip it regularly and others said just once. When I told August he laughed and said that low heat would take forever. 

The second batch I cooked in the oven but it looked kind of stringy and shredded and pinkish. I finished it off in the pan. 

The caramels I made like regular caramels but substituted some of the butter with bacon fat. I poured half the caramel into the pan to set, sprinkled chopped bacon, poured the other half of the caramel and sprinkled a little bit of chopped bacon on top. 

The verdict was that these caramels were good but the bacon flavor was very subtle. I think having a larger piece of bacon garnishing the top might be the key. However, I'm giving up on cooking meat. I'll just stick to the sea salt caramels.


No comments:

Post a Comment