Friday, December 28, 2012

Dickerdoodles (I mean Snickerdoodles)

August has joked for the past few years that I should enter the Penny Arcade dickerdoodles competition where cookies are magically transformed into phallic art. With the boys love of the Legend of Zelda, it inspired me to create, "The penis mightier than the sword". It's a play on "The pen is mightier than the sword," for those of you who didn't get the humor.

I soon found out that my snickerdoodle dough spread out so much when I baked it that I had to cut it to shape. Here is a picture of a normal snickerdoodle, a cookie sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. After rolling the dough into balls and placing on a baking sheet, it spreads into a flat disc. Next year if I enter the contest again, I may just use plain old sugar cookie dough made for cookie cutters.
And yes, I did use toasted shredded coconut for some details.

The results are in and though I didn't win the Dickerdoodles competition this year, my "Penis Mightier Than the Sword" was posted on the penny arcade site. Click here for the link.

Dickerdoodles (I mean Snickerdoodles)

Makes 20 round cookies

Inspired by Gale Gand

1 3/4 cup all purpose flour

1/2 Tbsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1/8 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 cup unsalted butter

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1/2 Tbsp. light corn syrup

1 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

Topping: 1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar and 1/4 tsp. cinnamon


 1. In a medium bowl mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside. In a large bowl or mixer bowl with paddle attachment, cream butter. Mix in sugar, egg, corn syrup and vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients just until blended. Chill dough 1 hour.

2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

3. Mix sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Remove dough from fridge. Roll into 2 inch balls. Roll in cinnamon sugar to coat. Place on baking sheet 2 1/2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes until slightly cracked and puffy. Cool on sheet pan for a few minutes before removing to wire rack to cool.




No comments:

Post a Comment